Saturday, December 20, 2014

Follow us:
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to this news feed 



Reported kidnapping prompts quick action at Southwestern University

  • Text size: + -
TWC News: Reported kidnapping prompts quick action at Southwestern University
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

A nearby crime scene shut down Georgetown's Southwestern University campus for three hours Monday night.

A woman said she was kidnapped from North Austin and sexually assaulted, and Georgetown Police found her abandoned car on the east side of campus.

The event prompted leaders at the university to go into lockdown in case the suspect was headed their way.

"Basically, I did not want him to come on my campus and decide to do the crime again here," Chief Deborah Brown with the Southwestern University Police Department said.

Usually students don't want a call from the cops, but they were thankful that night.

"You would be hard pressed to find a student who didn't know what was going on,
who didn't know we were on lockdown," senior Nathan Tuttle said.

Police closed several buildings and swept the campus. The success of the lockdown depended on information overload.

"I got a text, a call, a voicemail and an email, so they really covered all their bases and I felt informed," Tuttle said.

Senior Ashley Johnson was walking alone on campus Monday night. After Ashley received the initial warning, reality set in about what could happen next.

"If he was just fleeing then we might be okay or if we could possibly be victims as well,” she said. “It was definitely a concern because we didn't know."

Johnson was able to get into a building safely. She credits the police updates for keeping her safe throughout the night.

"That was a very comforting feeling, to know that the police station was looking out for our best interests and keeping us as safe as they possibly could," she said.

Chief Brown will continue to guard the students at any expense..

"Whatever has to happen here to keep them safe and to let them experience their college years, that's what we'll do," she said.

The Georgetown Police Department is investigating the crime. They described the suspect as a black male with a star tattoo under his right eye. ClientIP:,, UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 ( Profile: TWCSAMLSP