Saturday, December 20, 2014

Follow us:
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to this news feed 



Norwood linked to possible Nashville homicide in 1980

  • Text size: + -
TWC News: Norwood linked to possible Nashville homicide in 1980
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

In 1980, an 18-year-old Tennessee man was found dead in a dry creek bed in suburban Nashville.

At the time, police said David Fox was the victim of a hit-and-run, a story his family never believed.

Now, court records recently filed in Williamson County say convicted killer Mark Alan Norwood may be to blame. The 58-year-old was found guilty of capital murder last week in the 1986 bludgeoning death of Christine Morton in North Austin.

Norwood, who was arrested in Bastrop in fall 2011 where he was working as a dishwasher and living with his mother, did not take the stand in his defense during his eight-day-long trial. The jury found him guilty in just three hours.

In a court document of Norwood’s “extraneous offenses” filed by the state shortly before the trial, the language is clear:

"On or about the 19th day of July 1980, in Davidson County, Tennessee, the defendant intentionally or knowingly caused the death of David Fox by a manner and means unknown."

It's an allegation special prosecutors refused to address outside the courthouse last week.

"I can't say anything about that case,” special prosecutor Lisa Tanner told YNN.

When pressed further, Tanner would not say whether there was a pending investigation into the 1980 death.

"Our court records require us by law to provide the defense with any notice of any offense that may have any potential of coming up in court," she said.

More than three decades ago, Fox and Norwood worked together as carpet-layers in Nashville.

According to the dead teen's mother, the two men were supposed to meet for a job, but a few hours after the co-workers were to get together, Fox was found dead. Police classified his death as a hit-and-run accident.

Fox’s mother, Helen Willis, recalls telling authorities more than three decades ago that son’s death was no accident.

"I think my son was murdered and they thought it was a mom trying to get sympathy but it wasn't,” she said.

The Nashville District Attorney’s office would not confirm if they are investigating the 1980 case. A Nashville cold-case sergeant did say he has detectives looking into the matter.

Related Stories ClientIP:, UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 ( Profile: TWCSAMLSP