Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Follow us:
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to this news feed 

News

Austin

Rain brings welcome relief to Central Texas

  • Text size: + -
TWC News: Rain brings welcome relief to Central Texas
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.


Finally, most of Central Texas got to see a little of the wet stuff.

Sheets of rain began falling in downtown Austin around 10:30 a.m. Tuesday. San Marcos got almost 2 inches of rain in just under an hour.

Brandi Carlile found herself caught off guard when the rain came pouring down. Without an umbrella, she said she has lost faith in recent weather forecasts.

"You know they will say there is an 80 percent chance of rain, then it's 20 percent,” she said. “They change it the night before and we never get rain, so you're not really sure if it's going to rain or not."

This time, YNN’s weather department got it right. According to our in-house weather experts, the rain that hit alongside the Interstate-35 corridor is the most significant rainfall Central Texas has seen in quite some time.

"This was more wide spread, you know that low pressure system that moved out of northern Mexico, it had a little more moisture to work with, so we tapped into that moisture as it moved across and brought quite a bit of rain across the area,” YNN meteorologist Mary Wasson said.

Across the I-35 corridor, rain totals ranged from just under an inch to almost two inches, but with a rain deficit of 18 inches for the year, the area will need to see many more weather systems like this to get back to normal levels.

"We're going to continue for the rest of the year to be below normal and then we'll start the counter again, starting Jan. 1," Wasson said.

Here are the latest rain totals, as of 4:30 p.m. Tuesday:

1.75 San Marcos
1.47 Driftwood
1.40 Smithville
1.30 Lockhart
1.15 Rosanky
1.04 Manchaca
0.96 Bastrop

Be sure to check in with us for the latest rain totals through our weather page and our Facebook page.

10.11.12.244 ClientIP: 54.197.15.196, 96.6.47.148, 10.254.94.102 UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) Profile: TWCSAMLSP