Crews from multiple agencies worked to contain a fire that destroyed two Wimberley homes Friday morning.
Officials said the fire began on Flite Acres Road between University Drive and Ranch Road 3237 at about 4 a.m. Friday. Three structures were damaged in the blaze and two people were taken to the hospital.
"Upon arrival it (the house) was almost completely consumed with fire, very heavy fire conditions. They initiated fire attack there," Wimberley Fire Dept. Capt. Travis Maher said.
Eric Bedient and his family were staying in a house nearby. He said he heard an explosion and went outside.
"This over here, the back porch, was like a tidal wave of flames," he said.
Albert Wood was trying to fight the fire when winds quickly pushed the flames into his home.
"The fire just rapidly destroyed their house and came across under the eaves and took our house out," Wood said. "I was trying to help him. He was fighting it from one direction. I had a hose that was just pissing in the wind there. It was just nothing."
Firefighters were able to keep the blaze from destroying a third home and spreading to the surrounding area.
"Our main concern was trying to keep the embers from exposing grass fires or wild land fire exposures that we have," Maher said.
A man and woman, who were in the house that burned to the ground, were taken to Seton Medical Center Hays in Kyle.
Officials believe the woman was injured from jumping out of a second floor window. She was treated and released. The man was taken from Seton Medical Center Hays to Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio with what are believed to be non life-threatening injuries.
Investigators said the homeowners were cooking on a second story balcony. During the holiday weekend.
Firefighters say any fire, even barbecues, can be extremely dangerous.
"Hays County is under a burn ban, any outdoor fires, that you have, is an extreme danger. We are under extreme fire conditions right now, everything is very, very dry," Maher said.
The Hays County Fire Department helped the Wimberley Fire Department contain the fire.
Officials are continuing to investigate the incident but say with these dry windy conditions, it only takes a spark to cause a fire that can quickly get out of control.
YNN's Russell Wilde sent in these photos of the destruction.